Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wrapping up 240 miles of running in two weeks



The title of this blog post makes it all sound much easier than it was. It was not easy. BUT, I made it much easier on myself than it could have been. I'm lucky to have finished the challenge injury free. And I feel blessed to have such great support around me to help make this possible, and also those that helped reward my efforts by "giving" to Open Meadow Alternative Schools. To all of you, I thank you so much. It means a lot to me to be able to share with you the joy in giving back to such and incredible organization. An organization that has not turned their back on me from day one. An organization that has helped me way more than I have been able to help them. I only hope I can continue to give some of you at least a glimpse of the passion at Open Meadow that has been able to breed such strong, successful members of our community. Kids that had everything going against them, against all odds....and they came out of high school with a smile and all the momentum in the world. Please people, don't overlook programs like Open Meadow that help guide the youth in our community. They are our future.

After steadily chipping away at 120 miles of running in the first week of the challenge, week two started off slow. Here is how it went:
MONDAY- I just had to take it off! I knew I had to have a recovery day in order to make it through this challenge in one piece. So this ENTIRE day was spent on the recliner (thanks to my wife for understanding my laziness)
TUESDAY- Well, now I am going to have to average 20 miles per day for the next six days to hit the goal. Well.....I was able to get 6 miles in on the treadmill early in the day. Then after work I just didnt have it in me to run 14miles. So I ran 8miles (2mi treadmill run, 190 pushups, 2mi tread run, 100 squats, 2mi run, 220 situps, 2mi run)
WEDNESDAY- I cannot remember how the mileage was broken up but I only did 16miles this day as my energy and legs were just zapped. I knew at the end of the day, that I was in for a super challenging next four days to hit my goal.
THURSDAY- Got a second wind as I got word of some donations for my efforts (Thanks you Pops and Grandma & Grandpa Monda). Running started at 4pm- 4miles on treadmill, 30minutes rest, 4miles on treadmill, 30minutes rest, 4miles on treadmill, 30minutes rest, 4miles on treadmill, 30minutes rest, and 4more miles on the treadmill... dones at 830pm with 20miles on the treadmill and a lot of sweaty dirty running clothes and towells to wash!
FRIDAY- 7mi run in AM with my buddy Big Aaron. And 13mi run in PM with Paul Shoen (who also informed me he was going to donate for my efforts).
The weekend- 50 miles still needed to hit 120 for the week, and 240 in two weeks


SATURDAY- Started the day off with Energy Event's Earth Day Run, 5miler. My father in law was running in his second ever running event, so I had to be there for both him and my sponsor Energy Events. The plan was to run a steady run (maybe 630/mi to 7min/mi pace). But when the event started, a guy took off running 5:45 pace while juggling at the same time! I tried to keep from letting a Joggler, win the race, but this guy was smooth and I couldn't keep up with his pace after 3 or so miles (legs were really hurting at that pace for me). Turns out him and his wife (who also won the race for the women) are WORLD RECORD HOLDERS for Juggling and Running at the same time. Cool stuff.
After I came in 3rd place, running around 5:56 pace, I did the 5mi course again at a slower 8min pace. Then when I got home I had to turn around and run 10miles, to finish the day with 20 total. Legs pretty damn sore and stiff at this point!
SUNDAY- Final day. Big Aaron drove me out and dropped me off at the end of Wildwood trail, and I ran the ENTIRE 30mile trail non stop to get my miles in for the day, the week, and the challenge was over. I did it! Thanks to running buddy John Parsons for running with me from miles 2-12 of the trail. And Big Aaron, for meeting me with about 9miles to go on Wildwood and helping me gut out the those last painful miles!


I'm happy to say I brought in a little under $2k for Open Meadow Alternative Schools for all this running I did. Thanks to the following:
Athletes Lounge- $1k
Pops Monda- $250
Grandma & Grandpa Monda- $250
Grandma & Grandpa Nordstrom- $120
Paul & Annie Shoen- promised donation
Jaysun & Dana Pyatt- promised donation

I also really want to thank my sponsors this year:

Gu Energy- wow, time to restock already. Could not have made it through this challenge with out all the Calories, Carbs and Protein you have blessed me with!

Energy Events- Its about game time- VANCOUVER USA MARATHON- Ready to get focused and race ready for this classy local event.

Portland PACE- (Title sponsor of my tri team P.A.C.E. Multisport)

My beautiful pregnant, understanding wife- Ashley Monda. Thank you baby.. Now its time for you to stop taking care of me, and I can take care of you...since you are after all 17 weeks pregnant! :-)

Thanks again everyone. As my best friend, and Open Meadow's Step Up Advocate (Roosevelt High School), Drew Holguin says: "Teamwork to make the Dream Work"


There are still seats and tables available to the GotGame? Open Meadow fundraiser trivia event: HERE 

-Josh Monda
1999 Open Meadow Graduate
Current Open Meadow Board Member

1 comment:

Lambo Ryda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.