Sunday, April 15, 2012

120 miles complete, halfway there

Running 120 miles in a week, is a long time to be out on the road (16 hours of running). You see a lot, and you think a lot (I ran 116.5 of these miles completely solo). About half way through the week, I saw a kid getting arrested and put into the back of a police car while on my run.  He must have been 15 or 16 years old. We'll call him "Junior". I have thought a lot about Junior during my runs these last couple of days. I have wondered what he did (there were two other cop cars there, so it could have been serious). I wondered what his home life has been like. Who are his parents?  Is he a run away? Does he have solid support in his life? Does he have positive role models? IS HE GOING TO BE OK? I think so much about him now, because I likely wouldn't have been running in that area, if I wasn't out exploring and trying to tick off the running miles. I'm only really running this many miles, to help support the organization who's board I serve on. I only serve on that board because I have stayed in contact with the organization for years, and spoke on their behalf at other events. I only spoke on their behalf because at one time I was "Junior". That was me sitting in the back of a police car. It does not make me happy to think about how I used to be. Not a day goes by in my life that I don't reflect (and regret) on the terrible mistakes I made my 8th and 9th grade years. I was a lost kid, mad at the world, didn't give a crap about anything if you had asked me back then. But, I still had potential somewhere deep down inside. And Open Meadow was able to help pull that potential out of me. The staff at Open Meadow were able to help me navigate through all the adversity and disadvantages that had been dealt to me...and that I had dealt myself. I would start to grow up and eventually graduate high school a whole year early. Eventually I would use the lessons I had learned to become a top salesman for a nationwide organization, buy two houses, start my own business and help create jobs for 8 other people working for me. I found an amazing wife who is now carrying our first child and am learning how to be a great husband and father.
My best friend (since kindergarten), Andrew Holguin, was also "Junior". Andrew like me was lucky enough to find Open Meadow at the right time. Andrew would go on to graduate high school. He went on to graduate Portland State University (spending one whole year studying overseas in Spain). Andrew now works for Open Meadow's StepUp program at Roosevelt High School as an Advocate. Andrew's life is dedicated to helping other kids who were just like us discover their true potential and realize what they can become. We NEED programs like Open Meadow around to help bring out the best in our kids.
This is why I am running....

Thursday- 17miles- 3miles in am @ 8min pace. 8 miles after work @ 8min pace. 6 miles after dinner @ 8min pace
Friday- 17miles-  4 miles before lunch @ 7min pace. 3.5miles on treadmill @ 8:30 pace early afternoon. 6 miles outside mid afternoon @ 8min pace, 3.5miles after dinner @ 830 pace on treadmill
Saturday- 20miles-  9 miles in am on the trails @ 7:20 pace. 7miles @ 8min pace in the afternoon. 4miles early evening @ 8:30pace on the treadmill.
Sunday- 20miles- 13mile run in the morning (3.miles with big Aaron). 7 solid @ 7min pace miles late afternoon to hit 120 for the week!

Notes:
-I went through a few dark patches the last few days. I was just TIRED of being out and moving and the miles seemed to be going by slowly. This was not easy at all.
-As I said previously, I stayed in the aerobic zone and didn't do any speed work this week. This has helped me NOT get injured, but it has also made the challenge tougher mentally as I didn't have any intervals to break up the monotony.
-Originally, I thought I was going to be doing a bunch of running with other folks to help keep me company. This would have made the miles go by easier. But, as I got through the week and started to get more and more tired it seems so much easier to just "get the run done" and not spend energy trying to coordinate runs with others. If I am going to make it through next week, there is no way I can do it again on all solo running.
-Ice and Stretching are ooooh sooo important!!!
-Running 3-4 times a day you go through a lot of laundry and a lot of clean towels.

That is all for now. Tired, but happy.

-Josh Monda

Your gift of $25 buys nutritious snacks for 20 middle school students before testing.

No comments: