Friday, February 18, 2011

My Running Tips

Here are a few things I try to remember to do when running. Keep in mind, I am not a running expert! I have however been a consistent dedicated runner since 2005, and have found some things that work well for me in training and racing  :-)



1. Move your arms faster to make your legs move faster!
(This never fails. Our brains are wired so that when one arm swings forward, the opposite leg moves forward at the same time. Anytime I'm feeling sluggish in the legs, I just increase the tempo my arms are pumping away at, and it translates into a higher turnover in my legs!)



2. When running uphill, lean slightly forward into the hill and shorten your stride. (I do this in races all the time. All I know is it works for me. Using Tip #1 also works very well for this tip!)


3. Jam out! (Music helps everything. It makes the time go by quicker and helps keep you motivated---especially the last half of a 15-20mile run.  I probably run with an Ipod about 70% of the time. Pure runners may frown on this. And others think that getting too used to running with music will hurt you on race day when you dont have the tunes... But it has never hurt me on race day as far as I can tell. Come race day, I naturally replace my Ipod with adrenaline and pure competitiveness.


4. Acknowledge other runners, walkers, and dogs! (You dont have to say anything, just a simple smile and wave, thumbs up, or nod of the head. Some of my best runs are in areas where there are lots of other people, and I get to smile a lot)


5. Acknowledge Cars!! ( I always, always, always, wave to acknowledge a driver in a car that yields to me. We have enough stories as it is with Cyclists and/or runners getting hit and killed by drivers who "didn't notice them". The more we can acknowledge drivers and get them thinking about us and our appreciation for them, the more they will be alert of other endurance athletes out on the road in the future!)


6. Keep your eye on the prize! (Nothing helps more than being REALLY motivated. If you are training for a race, practice visualizing yourself on the big race day during your training run. If your are running to lose weight, visualize yourself on the beach or standing in the mirror with your shirt off or in your swim suit.)




7. Stay hydrated and fueled before, during and after long runs or before and after your short runs! (Enough said here!)
8. Dont be afraid to breathe! (Many races I find myself breathing harder than anyone else around me. In my opinion, if I am breathing harder, I am getting in more oxygen!  To get in some extra Oxygen, I breathe through my mouth AND nose at the same time. Try it!)



Have fun y'all!!
-Josh Monda

No comments: